Iâ€™ve done the 1-month vegetarian challenge.Â Â Iâ€™ve done the 3-day juice cleanse.Â Itâ€™s about time I take on another challenge to up my health game a bit.Â
Enter the 1-month unprocessed food challenge (insert announcer echoes here ).Â
But thatâ€™s not allâ€¦Iâ€™m also challenging myself to eat a Paleo diet on top of this, but itâ€™s really one in the same.Â Let me explain.Â The basis of the Paleo diet is to bring us â€œback to our rootsâ€ in regards to our eating habits.Â The Paliolithic Era spanned 2.5 million years and ended about 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture.Â Thatâ€™s when some die-hard Paleos believe it all started going downhill for us.Â Food started getting processed and the introduction of modern science began entering the foods we eat, and therefore entering our bodies.Â Iâ€™m not sure what I believe as far as processed foods, however I believe that something is causing all these diseases and allergies and intestinal problems.Â And while some of it is surely environmental, why not try and eliminate the possibility of it being the crap weâ€™re putting into our bodies?Â It really makes sense if you think about it.Â Our bodies were made a certain way many, many, many years ago (whatever your belief, I think we can all agree it was a long, long time ag0).Â Our bodies are very well, oiled machines.Â If you have doubts, think about the creation of life and what a womanâ€™s body is capable ofâ€¦.enough said.Â Our bodies are amazing.Â So whatâ€™s causing it to fail us?Â Â It has to be something that we are putting into our bodiesâ€¦throwing a wrench into this well-oiled machine.Â Â
But Iâ€™ll get off my soapbox and get back to the challenge.Â So unprocessed foodsâ€¦.essentially anything we could reasonably make in our kitchen is unprocessed.Â Look at the ingredients.Â If you can make it in your kitchen, it should be good.Â Another definition I saw is if you can pick it or kill it, itâ€™s unprocessed.Â A bit crude, but it works.Â So yes, this is not a vegetarian challenge at all.Â Grass-fed meats are perfectly acceptable.Â Same for Paleoâ€¦.our ancestors ate meats, so no need to give that up on this challenge (the hubby was extremely happy).Â
Paleo eating also believes in removing common allergens from our diets, the biggest one being gluten.Â So no bread products of any kindâ€¦no rice, no pasta, no wheat, no rye, yada, yada, yada.Â It also discourages dairy, though eggs and butter are fine, as long as your body digests it okay.Â So these few other â€œrequirementsâ€ is where things get fuzzy for me.Â Because there is gluten-free bread, right?Â But I guess the idea is if you look at the ingredients, itâ€™s not all unprocessed.Â I donâ€™t know, Iâ€™m still learning.Â
But the whole reason I was introduced to this Paleo thing (I donâ€™t like the word â€œdietâ€â€¦how about Paleo â€œtransformationâ€?) is because a good friend of mine started eating this way a few months ago.Â And she looks fabulous and says she feels incredible too.Â She was not an unhealthy person before, but whatever Paleo did for her, it compliments her, and she sings its praises.Â So I thought, what the hay?Â Â Iâ€™ll give it a try.Â Itâ€™s not necessarily a diet (er, transformation) you keep for the rest of your life, but everything Iâ€™ve read says to give it 2-4 weeks and see how you feel.Â If it works for you, then implement an 80-20 rule where 80% of your eating habits continue as is, and the other 20% allows for cheat days.Â
So on day 1, I erred on the side of overly conservative with my eating, which may be why I found myself hungry and with a headache at the end of the day.Â The headache could also very well be just my body recalibrating itself after a day of no refined sugar.Â But I did notice I did not feel bloated or gassy at all.Â Â Â My food intake was as such:
Breakfast â€“ coffee with agave and unsweetened vanilla almond milk, banana, and a Lara bar (delicious with simple ingredientsâ€¦must find bulk purchase option).
Lunch â€“ baked sweet potato with butter and a little maple syrup and cinnamon.
Dinner â€“ Pan-Roasted Chicken with Lemon-Garlic Green Beans minus the potatoes (meat-free Monday will have to happen another day this week).Â
Snacks â€“ plum, nuts, another Lara bar, Paleo-friendly muffins my friend made for me (yes, that was plural, thank you very much)
So weâ€™ll see how this all goes.Â 1 day down, 30 to go!Â Join me?Â 🙂