Much like watching Christmas Vacation non-stop, opening Christmas PJs on Christmas Eve, and scavenger hunts for presents with nearly impossible to solve clues – these candy cane cookies have become part of our holiday traditions. My husband and his siblings still compete to see who can make the prettiest candy cane cookie as my mother-in-law casts the deciding vote.
Candy Cane Cookies
Servings: 4 Dozen
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Shortening
- 1 cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- Red Food Coloring
- 1/2 cup Crushed Candy Canes
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- Heat oven to 375. Mix butter, shortening, confectioners sugar, egg and flavorings
- Blend in flour and salt
- Divide dough in half, blend red food coloring into one half
- Shape 1 tsp dough from each half into 4" rope. For smooth even ropes, roll them back and forth on lightly floured board.
- Place ropes side by side. Press together lightly and twist. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Curve top down to form handle of candy cane
- Bake 9 minutes (or until light brown).
- While cookies bake – mix crushed candy canes and granulated sugar.
- Once cookies are done baking immediately sprinkle cookies with mixture.