And once again, from my magazine of the moment, Vegetarian Times, I bring you another meat-free recipe!Â This was another I really liked, but I have to agree with some of the reviews I found online, it could have used a bit more flavor.Â But I always like to try a recipe as it is originally printed first in order to review.
What I liked about it:Â It was super easy and quick to make with pretty basic ingredients.Â It is versatile and can be eaten for any meal of the day.Â The hubby said heâ€™d really only want to eat it for breakfast (itâ€™s essentially hash browns with some veggies mixed in), but since Iâ€™m a big fan of breakfast for dinner, I had no problem eating it for dinner.Â Plus the relish made it more of a dinner food for me.Â
ChangesÂ I will make next time:Â I will definitely add a bit more salt and pepper,Â as well as try some other herbs mixed into the potato mixture.Â The hubby mentioned putting the basil from the relish into the patties instead (heâ€™s a cooking genius ;-)).Â I also wanted more tang or something in the relishâ€¦so maybe a squeeze of lemon or lime.Â Iâ€™ll experiment next time.Â But other than that, I was happy with the recipe and will be making these again.Â
Vegetable Rosti with Tomato-Corn Relish
- 3 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped (11/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil or parsley
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. chopped onion
- 3 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 medium white potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1. To make Tomato-Corn Relish: Combine all ingredients in bowl. Set aside.
2. To make Rosti: Grate potatoes, carrots, and zucchini onto clean kitchen towel. Wrap towel around vegetables, and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Transfer vegetables to bowl, and stir in onion, flour, and garlic. Fold in eggs, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Coat large skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Spoon 2 Tbs. Rosti mixture for each patty, shaping with spoon to make patties. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until bottoms are crisp. Carefully flip with spatula, and cook 2 minutes more, or until browned on both sides. Serve with Tomato-Corn Relish.