This dish was brought by my friend (well to be honest she’s my son’s father’s wife…so I consider her more family.Â But to call her my son’s step-mom just reminds me of the evil step mom on Cinderella – which she is not.) to one of the various social gatherings at my house.Â And it’s become her signature dish – partly because everyone loves it and partly because when she asks what to bring I always say your Chinese Coleslaw.Â Â Which is what the dish reminds me of – it’s more of a coleslaw than a salad.Â I will say if you have a picnic, 4th of July party, bridal shower etc.. that you need to bring a side dish to this summer – you cannot go wrong with this dish.Â Not only is it tasty.. but it’s so pretty!
Chinese Cabbage Salad
1 medium head green cabbage (sliced very thin)
1 small head red cabbage (sliced very thin)
6-8 scallions (chopped white and green parts)
2 Raman noodle soup packages (noodles only [no season packet])
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 red wine vinegar (or rice vinegar – or a mixture of both)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup sliced almonds
- Quarter cabbage. Remove core. Slice cabbage very thin. Place in large bowl.
- Add chopped scallions.
- Put Raman noodles into a large zip lock bag and crush noodles into a million pieces using a can. Â Add to bowl.
- Place dressing ingredients into a blender and blend until frothy. Pour over salad and mix well until completely coated. Cover and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes to overnight.
- Toast sesame seeds and almonds keeping an eye on them and stirring occasionally (425′ oven will work but I use a toaster oven and do almonds and seeds separately – note: I usually keep extra on hand because I have burnt these more than once and had to start over beginning with a trip to the store).
- Let cool and place in zip lock bag. Â Add almonds and seeds to salad right before serving.
[…] featured a coleslaw here before, Celesteâ€™s Chinese Cabbage Salad.Â So here comes number two.Â Itâ€™s similar, but the addition of peanut butter and ginger in the […]