Meet my mother-in-law, Ursula. <3
My mother-in-law happens to be a great cook and I inherited this recipe when I got married. I wish I had spent more time with her in the kitchen in the early years when we lived closer and I was still teachable! 🙂
I don’t know why I haven’t shared this recipe sooner. It’s on regular rotation in our house and it’s so simple and tastes just as good as it smells. I usually use boneless, skinless thighs when making this, but have also used bone-in thighs before. We eat it with rice and I love to pour the sauce over the rice. So good! Enjoy!
Ursula’s Chicken & Tomato Fricassee
- 3 lbs. chicken pieces skinless
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 28 oz. can stewed or whole tomatoes
- Mix salt, tumeric, cumin, pepper, ginger, paprika, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- In a large pot (I use my dutch oven), cook onion and garlic in oil until brown.
- Mix in chicken and spices and cook on both sides for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in can of tomatoes. Add water until chicken is just covered.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until chicken is cooked through.