Since beginning this blog, we’ve had the wonderful support of our good friends. They give us feedback, suggestions and encouragement. This week’s meat free recipe comes from my dear friend, Carrie. Our blog inspired her to start going meat free on Mondays which, whenever our blog inspires someone in any way, it’s the biggest compliment and keeps us doing what we’re doing! Thanks Carrie!
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas
- 1 jar or can green chile enchilada sauce
- 1 15 oz can organic black beans rinsed, drained
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Fresh lime juice from 1 lime
- 2 cups heaping cooked sweet potatoes smashed a bit, but still chunky
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted green chiles
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
- 2-4 Tbs light olive oil or vegetable oil as needed
- 8 white corn tortillas
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the drained black beans with minced garlic and lime juice. Toss to coat the beans and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the lightly smashed sweet potatoes with the chopped green chiles; add the spices. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of the green chile sauce into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Heat a little oil in a skillet and warm each corn tortillas to soften them, one at time.
- Lay hot tortilla in the sauced baking dish and wet it with the sauce.
- Spoon 1/8 of the sweet potato mixture down the center.
- Top with 1/8 of the black beans.
- Wrap and roll the tortilla to the end of the baking dish.
- Repeat for the remaining tortillas. Top with the rest of the sauce.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling around the edges.