Ever walked into your laundry room and been overwhelmed by the musty smell coming from your washing machine? No? Oh me either. But lets say I had… Here is how I would go about cleaning it using a natural eco-friendly solution.
You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1/3 cup of Water
- 1/3 cup of Baking Soda
- 2 1/4 cup of White Vinegar
- Mix the baking soda and water together. (I did this in a glass measuring cup to make it easier to pour into the washing machine.)
- Pour 2 1/4 cup of vinegar into a separate measuring cup.
- Add the baking soda water mixture to the container for detergent in your washing machine. (My washer has a piece that has to be moved depending on whether I am using a liquid or powder detergent. If yours does too make sure its on the powder option to help ensure that the mixture doesn’t get stuck in the detergent container)
- Dip a clean sponge or washcloth into the vinegar. Wipe down the door, the inside of the washing machine and in the rubber ring that goes around the outside of the washer drum.
5. After you’ve wiped everything down pour the remainder of the vinegar into the drum (center) of the washer. Place your washer on the hottest setting. Mine has a Sanitize setting so I used that one.
There are some sites that will recommend doing this monthly. Honestly, I’d say whenever the washer starts getting a funky smell go ahead and repeat the directions above.