This is my whatever vegetable I have too much of recipe. I love my vegetable garden, CSA boxes and farmers markets – but sometimes I end up with way too much of something – in this case it happens to be zucchini.
Tomato Zucchini Risotto
- 2 cups Arborio Rice
- 8 cups Organic Vegetable Stock
- 1 bunch Fresh Scallions
- 2 -3 Zucchini
- 10.5 oz Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 12 leaves Fresh Basil (to taste)
- 1/2 cup Freshly Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- crushed red pepper (to taste)
- 2 tbsp butter
- Dice zucchini, cut cherry tomatoes in half, and chop scallions
- In a large pan heat a bit of olive oil and cook scallions for about 1-2 minutes until softened. Add 1 TBSP of Italian seasoning and a pinch of red pepper flakes
- Add rice to pan. Stir until rice is lightly toasted (approx 2 mins). Add 1 cup of stock stirring until liquid has dissolved. Repeat until you've used all of the stock (about 30 mins). Rice will be creamy. Stir in 2 TBSP of butter at the end.
- In another pan, heat 2 TBSP of olive oil and add diced zucchini and 1 TBSP of Italian seasoning. Cook until brown – maybe 6-7 minutes. (note: I like mine charred/blackened)
- Add tomatoes, fresh basil and balsamic vinegar to zucchini pan. Cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper
- Add tomato and zucchini mixture to the top of risotto (rice) and sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Optional: add more red pepper flakes for heat