Yes in the South we call this Thanksgiving Day must-have dish “dressing” although my Northern friends and family will argue that the proper name for it is “stuffing“. Over the years I’ve learned to just “mind my manners” when it comes to semantics – as apparently not everyone uses words like “fixin’ to”, “hankerin'”, or “smidge”. But for all Y’all that would like to enjoy a little southern cuisine I give you Uncle Bubba’s Cornbread Dressing recipe that has been blessing our Thanksgiving table for as long as I can remember.
This dish starts with a freshly made batch of delicious cornbread. You’ll be tempted by the scent of this baked goodness to just stop at this step and devour the entire pan. Trust me – don’t do it… although no one will know if you steal a couple bites 😉
Next you’ll combine all of the remaining ingredients and the crumbled cornbread. Pouring everything into two 13×9 inch pans
Your belly will start grumbling at this point from the aroma of sweet cornbread and sage emitting from the oven.
You can either slice it into squares in the pan like cornbread or crumble it like that northern “stuffing”. 🙂
Add some of Nanny’s homemade giblet gravy, perfectly roasted (or fried) turkey, green bean casserole, candy yams and some cranberry sauce…. and that my friends is the perfect Southern Thanksgiving meal.
Uncle Bubba’s Cornbread Dressing
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 TBSP Flour
- 1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 4 TBSP White Sugar
- 2 TBSP Baking Powder
- 2 Eggs
- 2/3 cup Milk
- 1 cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs Season with sage, black pepper, marjoram, poultry seasoning & parsley
- 2 Onions chopped & sautéed
- 2 14.5 cans Chicken Broth
- 2 TBSP Sage
- 2 Diced Hard Boiled Eggs
- 3 Eggs (raw)
- 2 Celery Stalks chopped
- Preheat the oven to 250°, lay the bread cubes on a sheet pan and season with sage, black pepper, marjoram, poultry seasoning and parsley. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, tossing every 5-10 minutes.
- Cheat option: Use 1/2 cup pre-seasoned store bought stuffing (don't cook)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Combine cornbread mix in a bowl. Mix well. Pour batter into greased 13×9 pan. Bake 15-20 minutes.
- Cheat option: Use 2 boxes Jiffy corn mix. Follow instructions on box to bake.
- Once you have the bread crumbs and cornbread made. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Break up cornbread and add in seasoned bread crumbs to a large bowl
- Sauté chopped onions.
- Add 3 raw eggs, broth, celery, 2 diced hard boiled eggs, sautéed onions to the cornbread/bread crumb mixture and mix well
- Add salt and pepper
- Pour into two 9×13 pans. Sprinkle sage on top.
- Bake at 350 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Top will be golden brown and dressing will look solid in the middle.