A few people have requested a slow cooker recipe for Meat Free Monday.Â This is one of my family’s favorite – particularly on a cold winter’s night.
It is easily prepared and ready to eat once you’re home from a full day at work or for those days when you know you’re going to be hectically running errands or chasing your adorable (but energetic) toddler all day! 🙂
Homestyle Potato Soup
- 14.5 ounce can fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed, peeled potatos (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 3 Tablespoons better
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Place first 8 ingredients into your slow cooker; stir well.Â Cover with lid.Â Cook on low heat 6-8 hours (or until vegetables are tender)
- Place flour in a bowl; gradually add in milk stirring constantly with a whisk until blended.Â Stir into soup.Â Cook covered, 25 minutes or until think.
- Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
Chef’s note:Â If you have less time, just set your slow cooker to high and cook for 4-5 hours. Then repeat steps 2 & 3 above.
My whole family enjoys this recipe.Â It makes about 7 servings so there is a little left over from my family of 5.Â My 8 year old is the only one of us who doesn’t think this dish is absolutely fabulous.Â However, I’ve found that if I give him baked french bread to dip and eat the soup with that he will finish his whole bowl without thinking twice about it.