Today’s recipe comes from Alisa, a friend of mine who has been doing Meat Free Mondays for years. She said it has become one of her regularly rotated meals because it’s so yummy, great re-heated, and her three year old daughter LOVES it.
Spinach & Feta Quiche
- ¼ cup margarine
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 4.5 can mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 1 6 oz package herb and garlic feta cheese, crumbled (can’t always find the flavor, have used plain and also the reduced fat and both are yummy)
- 1 8oz package shredded cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 9inch unbaked pie crust
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion in butter until lightly browned. Stir in spinach, mushrooms, feta and ½ cup cheddar. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into pie crust.
- In medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into pastry shell, allowing egg mixture to thoroughly combine with spinach mixture. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and bake an additional 35-40 minutes until set in center. Allow to stand 10 mins before serving.
I made this dish recently for my family and I was happily surprised that everyone loved it. My husband and toddler gobbled it down. And my seven year old, who is the pickiest eater in the house, ate every last bite without any cajoling or negotiating on my part. I personally thought it tasted great, was easy to fix and there was more than enough left over for another dinner (or breakfast) later in the week.