The thing I like most about this recipe is that not only can it be served either warm or cold, but it can also be on the table in less than 20 minutes. This is also one of those dishes that you can improvise pretty easily – I have made it with canned organic diced tomatoes, dried spices and shredded mozzarella (all are ingredients that I tend to have stocked on a regular basis thus I avoid a last minute trip to the grocery store).
So how does my family feel about this recipe?Â Well, my husband said he liked the flavor of the tomato sauce although he prefers to put parmesan cheese on his instead of the fresh mozzarella.Â Our 7 year old balked because he likes lots of tomato sauce (think more like a spaghetti sauce) although he did say he liked it.Â He just wanted “more sauce mommy“!!
- 1/2 lb. whole wheat capellini (or any other whole wheat pasta)
- 1/2 cupÂ Italian salad dressing
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 clovesÂ garlic, minced
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cupÂ shredded or thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, finely sliced
- Cook pasta as directed on package.
- Heat Italian dressing, chopped onions and garlic in large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Simmer and stir for approximately 2 min.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the skillet and cook an additional5 min
- Turn off the heat.Â Add pasta to the skillet and mix.
- Add mozzarella and basil right before serving
(This dish can be served warm or at room temperature)