I’m sure most of us have done this before…you go to your local bulk warehouse store (Costco for me) and you stock up on certain items, only to come home and find out you still had plenty left to begin with. For something like toilet paper, this isn’t a big deal because it never goes bad and, well, we always need toilet paper. But my last trip to Costco left me with 24 new eggs to go along with my other two dozen eggs that I forgot I had in my second fridge! So it should be no surprise that I have been making lots of egg dishes recently, hence this week’s meat free recipe, Broccoli Quiche. Oh, I forgot to mention, I buy my broccoli in bulk at Costco too!
Most people think of quiche as a breakfast dish, but I made this for dinner last Monday night and it was a big hit with the hubby and the kids. There was plenty leftover for breakfast the next morning as well. It made a great one dish meal. Enjoy!
2 Tbls butter
1 small onion, minced
1 tsp minced garlic
2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
4 eggs, well beaten
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 Tbls butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place crust in a pie plate and press cheese to the bottom of the pie crust.
3. Over medium-low heat, melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onions, garlic and broccoli. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft. Spoon vegetables on top of the cheese.
4. Combine eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in melted butter. Pour egg mixture over vegetables.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until center has set.