If youâ€™ve been following for a while, itâ€™s no secret that I eat chia seed pudding for breakfast on the regular. Itâ€™s easy, itâ€™s high in nutrients, and itâ€™s filling. I have a basic mix that includes milk, cinnamon and maple syrup, but every once in a while I try a variation like this mint chocolate one.
It took me a couple tries to realize that less is more when it comes to the mint flavor. My first batch, I about burned my nose hairs because I added way too much! And speaking of mint, the green color actually comes from matcha green tea powder! I found these individual packs at Trader Joes and they were the perfect amount.
And last but certainly not least…the “chocolate” part of this Mint Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding is really just a chocolate banana smoothie that can and should be a regular smoothie staple in everyone’s household! I’ve tried cocoa powder and chocolate protein powder and both resulted in a creamy chocolate layer for this breakfast treat.
I can’t decide if this should be for breakfast or dessert. I’ll let you choose. 😉
Mint Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
Mint Chia Seed Pudding
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- 1-2 drops peppermint flavor food-grade essential oil or peppermint extract
- 1 splash maple syrup
- 2 bananas frozen
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder or scoop of chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice
- Combine chia seeds, milk, matcha powder, peppermint and maple syrup in a tall glass container. Stir and let thicken in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Once thickened, give it another stir to smooth out the mixture.
- Blend together frozen bananas, cocoa or protein powder and milk. Pour over the chia seed pudding and enjoy!