For us, January is the confluence of the past and the future. It’s a time to glance back at our wellness journey over the past year. At Everyday Road to Healthy, we believe that understanding where we’ve been is crucial to mapping out where we’re headed. So, let’s review the highs, lows, and twists of the previous year to better prepare for the adventures that await in the coming year.
reviewing the starting line
Cast your mind back to the beginning of last year when you made that pivotal decision to prioritize your health. Reflect on the aspirations and motivations that fueled your journey. Recognize the courage it took to take that first step and appreciate the commitment you demonstrated to your own well-being. This starting point serves as a foundation for the growth and progress achieved over the past year.
- Take on new activities or workout challenges
- Create a better work/life balance
- Exercise consistently & drink more water
- Resolve my stomach issues
- Drink more water
- Eat more protein
- Switch exercise focus from cardio to more weights
- Dance more & gain more flexibility
Celebrating Milestones and Achievements
Now, let’s celebrate the victories – both big and small – that punctuated your wellness journey in the past year. Whether it was achieving a fitness milestone, adopting healthier habits, or overcoming personal challenges, each accomplishment is a testament to your dedication and resilience. These triumphs not only deserve acknowledgment but can also serve as a source of inspiration as we set new goals for the upcoming year.
- This year, I attempted 2 new activities that I fell in love with – barrel racing (Horseback) and white-water rafting.
- In February of last year I changed jobs which created a better work/life balance which in turn allowed me to be a more present parent to my teenage son.
- After some discussions with Angela, I took an Everlywell Food Sensitivity Comprehensive Test and discovered my body is highly reactive to wheat and cow’s milk. This knowledge has been a game-changer managing my stomach issues.
- Back in March I joined the LEAN 7-Week Program which got me back into the habit of using My Fitness Pal to track how much protein I was eating.
- It took me while to begin, but in the fall I got my butt back in the gym to weight train more consistently.
- I stepped way outside of my comfort zone this past summer and started taking an adult ballet class, and then in the fall added an adult contemporary dance class to my schedule. Ballet has been very humbling but I am continuing to stick with it. Both classes are increasing both my strength and flexibility.
Navigating Roadblocks and Detours
As we review the past year, it’s inevitable that we encountered some roadblocks and detours. Reflect on the challenges faced, understanding them as opportunities for growth and learning. What lessons did these obstacles impart? How did you navigate the unexpected turns? Use these experiences to fortify your resolve and equip yourself for the twists that may lay ahead in the new year.
- Water: I failed miserably at the drink more water goal. Even now I have had no water yet today. So, not starting out strong for the new year either.
- Exercise: I think my main issue was I wasn’t consistent throughout the year. There would be weeks of steady progress and then I would just completely lose interest.
- Flexibility: I stopped going to Pilates on a regular basis and I’ve really notice a change in my flexibility.
- Spirituality/Mindfulness: I did not spend enough time at all on this aspect (church, meditation, mindful reading, etc)
- Water: Like Deena, drinking more water has been a perpetual new year resolution my entire adult life. And I struggle on a daily basis drinking enough (any) water.
- Time Management: My time management needs some work. Time becomes my excuse for not fitting in time for working out, eating healthy and self care.
- Consistency: This goes hand-in-hand with time management. I may be on point for the first few days of a week, or the first 2 meals of the day, or first couple weeks of the month, but I never stay consistent for a long period of time.
- Impatience: I want results right away, and if I don’t see them, I tend to give up or think “what’s the point?”. See “consistency” above!
Admiring Scenic Views
Life is not just about reaching milestones; it’s also about relishing the beautiful moments along the way. Consider the moments of joy, gratitude, and contentment that peppered your wellness journey in the past year. Whether it was the delight of a wholesome meal, the endorphin rush post-workout, or the serenity found in mindfulness practices, these scenic views are the gems that make your journey memorable.
- This past summer we moved into our forever home. We moved from Virginia to South Carolina two years ago and have been patiently waiting to plant literal and actual roots here. There is land in the front to farm on and water in the back to play in.
- The “overall” health of my family is good. My husband’s kidney cancer continues to be dormant so I pray that continues into the upcoming years.
- With one kid already off to college and my second son getting close, I am grateful for every time my family of 4 is all together, whether it’s sitting at home watching a movie, or going on a fun family trip like we did to Florida this past summer. As long as we are all together, my heart is full.
- This past October I celebrated 15 years as a breast cancer survivor. There were a few moments during my initial diagnosis, before knowing what I was dealing with, that I wasn’t sure I’d be here 15 years later, but here I am, surviving and thriving and that is definitely worth celebrating.
Acknowledge Your SUpport System
Pause to recognize the people who shared the road with you last year – your support system. Family, friends, or a community of like-minded individuals – these companions played a pivotal role in your wellness journey. Express gratitude for their support and consider how you can continue to cultivate these connections in the year ahead.
Angela & Deena
- We are so thankful to all of you. Those of you that have been with us since we started our Everyday Road to Healthy site and those who may have only recently found us.
Taking a mindful look in the rearview mirror of last’s year’s wellness journey helps to prepare us all for the road ahead. Understanding where we’ve been empowers us to shape where we’re going. As we navigate the intersections of the past and the future, may this reflection guide us toward a year filled with health, growth, and fulfillment on our everyday road to healthy living. Safe travels & stay healthy!