My in-laws came by for a visit this weekend and brought with them fresh String Beans from their garden.Â I have to say that is one of my favorite things about summer -Â fresh from the garden vegetables.
Since we had plenty of tomatoes on hand, I figured I’d try out the following recipe:
Marinated Green Beans with Olives, Tomatoes, and Feta
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oreganoÂ ( I just used ground oregano since I didn’t have any fresh)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 (8 ounce) package crumbled feta
- 1/2 bunch fresh oregano sprigs ( I just used ground oregano since I didn’t have any fresh)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over medium heat and drop in the green beans; cook until slightly tender, but still crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Immediately drain the green beans and plunge into ice water to stop the beans from cooking further. Drain the beans and place them in a shallow serving dish.
3. Sprinkle feta cheese over the top and garnish with oregano sprigs.
Chef’s note: I let everyone just add their own feta as my kids aren’t crazy about feta cheese.Â I also baked some Ciabatta bread to go along with this dish.Â I loved the dish – it has a strong olive taste so if you don’t like olives I wouldn’t recommend it.Â But I’m the girl that orders her martinis extra dirty…Â Â My oldest son and my husband liked it.Â The 2 younger boys weren’t that crazy about it.Â They like their green beans to taste like green beans. I will definitely make this dish again but pull some beans to the side for the two younger boys.